Our Greatest BLESSINGS Call Us Mommy & Daddy

16 October 2011

Tweetsie Rail Road/ Remembering Summer Fun


If you grew up in North Carolina then you know about Tweetsie Rail Road.  LONG BEFORE Carowinds thought about existing we had Tweetsie.  Back in the day (and this is meant in all of the truest senses possible) it was a REAL THING (Yep, like Coke or Diet Coke for me) to get to go there.  You were super lucky if you got to couple it with an outing to "The Land of OZ" which has been closed for many years now but I hear it opens once a year on the anniversary of the Wizard of OZ.

We were looking for something to do that would be fun with the kids.  Since we avoid Chuckie Cheese like we attempt to avoid the latest 'bug' that is going around we decided a jump in the car to Boone, North Carolina would be the Best thing.  Again we didn't tell them where we were heading but Luke being the brilliant "I KNOW THIS SURPRISE STORY ALWAYS ENDS UP BEING TRAIN RELATED" figure it out pretty fast.  He was so excited about going as  usual.  In fact he is happy with riding the CATS metro system in Charlotte and could do so for hours on end. 

Half a day later we are still at Tweetsie riding the train and eating popcorn.  The other rides were nice and fun enough for them.  THEY REALLY LOVED Feeding the animals.  The goats tickled them to pieces.  You can feed them if you buy the seeds.  Maran would walk up to all of them.  Luke was a little hesitant with the pigs but he quickly warmed up.  They didn't have animals when I used to go to Tweetsie.  Or maybe they did and we just didn't "GO TO THAT PART".  The old chair lift is the same one that was there 40 years ago ( I think I remember it being there) and none of the wood has been replaced since then either.  The scrambler ride is there and it wreaks havoc on me now like no tomorrow.  David and I were both dazed when we got off of it. Surprisingly Maran did not get sick which was unbelievable because I thought for sure she would. 

Another fun Family Outing which created some fun memories and some really Cute Pictures. 
If you can go to Tweetsie... DO.  It's no five star amusement park but it is quaint and cute and just the speed that you may need on one of those 'slow moving' weekends.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

We have always thought of going to Tweetsie...I think you just sealed it for us!! I laughed at the avoiding Chuckie Cheeses. I thought we were the only family that refuses to go there! :)

Kelly said...

Hi Ann--I just read your comment on my blog. That is funny that you were just near my hometown. It is beautiful in the fall!

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations